Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Etched Casserole Dish

I don't know how I missed blogging about this. I was thinking today about the amazing things you can do with a Cricut and realized I never blogged about the casserole dishes I etched.

For Christmas I decided to give family members personalized casserole dishes. (I'm wishing I would have documented better.)

I would like to mention that this does not work on all glass casserole dishes. I first tried it on one of my own Pyrex brand dishes and it didn't work... at all. So if you are wanting to make your own personalized casserole dishes don't buy the Pyrex brand because it won't work.

I used the Cricut to cut letters out of contact paper. This part of the process is the most time consuming, trying to get the letters the exact right size and getting everything to look just how you want them to. You have to do everything backwards (enter letters into cricket backwards ex: tduarD for Draudt and make sure the 'flip' button is on) and use what is left after you take out the letters that you would normally use and then peel off the backing on the contact paper and attach it to the bottom of the casserole dish. I found it was easiest to lay the contact paper on the counter and then put the casserole dish on top of it... it's just easier to make sure everything is centered and where you want it that way.

After you have attached the contact paper you take Armour Etch and paint in the letters with a children's paint bush. Set timer for 10 minutes and wait.


After ten minutes wash off the Armour Etch with soap and water and voila! You have a beautiful personalized casserole dish ready to use.


If you are giving this as a gift you can do what I did and bake goodies to fill the dishes with for all to enjoy.

The recipe I used for the cinnamon rolls was from food.com. I followed the recipe pretty closely but used butter instead of margarine (I think). I had the worst time trying to get the yeast to rise and realized (after some research) that it doesn't rise as much as normal bread because the dough is sweet. So, don't freak out if it doesn't seem like it's rising as well as normal bread or roll dough.

Good luck!


 

1 comment:

  1. Ya got to love "Mom & Dad" they are so cute!
    Your dishes are way cute too, I wish I had one ;)

    ReplyDelete