Monday, April 8, 2013

Beehive Birthday Cake

I made a birthday cake for my Mom on Saturday. I didn't have a ton of time to make the cake and I made the fondant the same day that I made the cake. I've decided I like using day old marshmallow fondant much better. 

I used a small rounded bowl to cook part of the cake and then just a small round cake pan for the bottom part.  When you cook cakes in the small round pan you have to cook it low and slow so it will cook all the way through and not burn so it took forever to cook all the way. I did manage to get the cakes in the freezer Friday so they weren't so difficult to frost Saturday. 

I didn't really know what I was doing so I just kind of winged it. I rolled out (like making a play-doh snake) the fondant and the flattened it a little with my fingers then took strips and wrapped them around the cake. Once the cake was completely covered I sculpted the bees out of fondant and attached them to the cake with toothpicks.  

It wasn't my favorite cake but everyone seemed to think it tasted delicious and that's what counts the most anyway right? Happy Birthday Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment