Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Brooklyn's Birthday Cake

I've been wanting to make a fondant cake for quite some time. Remember this?......


I was going to make Chris a batman cake using fondant and after some issues I just ended up with a fondant bat on a chocolate cake with sprinkles.

It's the thought that counts right? haha

My sweet neighbor makes some amazing cakes and has a great blog with tips and she gave me extra tips too.

I made the cakes a couple days in advance and kept them in the freezer. I never new how much easier frosting a frozen cake was... I will never frost a not frozen cake again! I also made the fondant a day in advance. My neighbor recommends making it a day in advance but I also figured if I messed it up it would be best to give myself a day to figure something out if the fondant didn't turn out lol. I got my fondant recipe from my neighbors blog here.
Saturday day morning I got up early before everyone was up. I was excited and nervous and it was nice to have time to work without someone needing me for something else.

First I took the cakes out of the freezer and frosted them and set them aside. I took the fondant out at the same time. By the time I was done frosting the cakes the fondant was still too cold to work with so I stuck in in the microwave for a few seconds to warm it up a little bit which did the trick.

I then rolled out the fondant and probably used a little more powdered sugar than I needed... I was a little worried about the fondant sticking. Once I rolled the fondant out I put it on the cake. This was my first time and it definitely wasn't perfect but it wasn't quite as bad as I was expecting either. I can see how working with fondant can take practice.

 After the cakes were covered I got to work on decorating the cakes. For the bottom half I cut the zebra stripes with a pizza cutter and used water to adhere the fondant to the cake. I forgot to take pictures but I used cookie cutters to make the circles that covered the top half of the cake. I also rolled up little balls of fondant to go around the cake. 
Once everything was done and the cake was put together we steamed it a little bit and it looked great! After sitting out all day the fondant looked a little dry. I've already been doing some research on how to keep that from happening the next time I make a cake.



2 comments:

  1. You did an amazing job ! I cant wait for my birthday, I'm totally coming to you for help with my cake :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing better than a homemade cake baked with love :) Not to mention a great way to bring a personal touch to any special event.

    ReplyDelete