Friday, May 16, 2014

I Just Feel Like Writing

I feel like writing even though we haven't really done anything. 

On Wednesday I volunteered at a class taught at Orson Gygi's in Salt Lake. It was a buttercream class and I just thought it would be fun to watch. I didn't know they would be letting me decorate and take home a cake too... so that was pretty awesome. I haven never seen so much buttercream at once in my life. It smelled pretty good though thankfully. It's nice to go to the classes and the girl who teaches the classes is nice to answer my questions. I feel like most of my questions have to do with cake business not necessarily how to decorate cakes. It's hard to know when something is okay to ask and when you should just figure it out yourself... like I know I wouldn't ask for someones recipes or things like that. If someone else is trying to make a living doing the same thing... I dunno haha. I just try not to step on toes. 

My cake cooked a little special :)

I made a cheesecake this week. It smelled so good (and I hear it was delicious) but it definitely wasn't as pretty as my normal cakes are. I also made cherry topping but let them put it on themselves... so I don't have a pictures of everything together. Cheesecake isn't something I'm planning on offering but it was a special request for a coworker. 

Thanks Mom for the recipe!

I really appreciate all the support I have received in starting my business. I feel like it is such a learning process and I am still learning things every day. I feel like so many things in my life are to teach me patience and this is definitely one of them. I wish starting a business was just something that was done overnight and in a way I feel like it has been but on the other hand I still have a long ways to go. I still have a hard time charging people. When I was talking to another cake lady she said she charges an extra dollar per serving for fondant and if she were to do ganache and buttercream she would charge an extra 50 cents per serving. Cakes are expensive. They are expensive to make and time intensive.... also figuring out how many cakes I want to take on every week. One person says she will only take two cakes a week, another person said she will only take two cakes a month and another person I know takes 6+ cakes a week. I just haven't figured out the balance of everything.

I am so excited for the weekend.... and I'm wearing my new shoes today that I got for mothers day :)

The webelos have been working on their Handyman pin and one of the things they can pass off is washing a car.... so that's just what we did this week. They had fun and Gavin got soaked and loved every minute of it. Gavin loves when the scouts come over. 


No comments:

Post a Comment