Thursday, August 1, 2013

Car Troubles Stink

I figured I'd start the month off with a blog post. I was going to save up our last week of excitement with Brooklyn to blog about all together but this week hasn't really gone as expected. We have had so much fun having Brooklyn stay with us. It will be so weird and quiet once she's gone. She is so excited to start first grade and we hope to help her in every way we can to have a great school year.

Monday, Brooklyn's school had a "Meet your teacher and the new principle night" I'm sure there is an actual name for that but I don't know what it is. Chris came home and picked me and Brooklyn up and we headed back to Holladay. Chris being the good dad he is has driven so much over the last week going back and forth to Salt Lake so many times. We actually got there twenty-ish minutes early. Dang our punctuality haha. Brooklyn's teacher didn't end up being there so after we waited for a while we headed out for some fun. Having two kids is fun but sometimes Brooklyn doesn't get any one on one attention. Gavin does because we don't always have Brooklyn at our house.... Anyway... we decided this would be the perfect opportunity for some special fun time with Brooklyn. We let Brooklyn choose what we did for dinner I had kind of thought she might like to go out for sushi since we know she really likes sushi but when asked what she would like she chose Cafe Rio... oh she is a girl after my own heart :)

After Cafe Rio we knew we wanted to do something fun but weren't sure what to do. We thought about going to Scheels to ride the Ferris wheel but didn't know how much it costs... too late for a movie and there isn't anything Brooklyn hasn't seen... and then we remembered our pass of all passes! I don't know how we forget about those life savers. We ran home and picked them up and headed over to Trafalga. We hadn't been there before and didn't know what all there was. Daddy and Brooklyn, after waiting in line for what seemed like forever, drove go karts. Then Brooklyn and I rode the frog ride five times. It is like a mini version of The Rocket that takes you up and then drops you. Only one adult can ride at a time. I felt a little silly riding it but Brooklyn loved it and didn't want to go by herself. After we walked around and looked at the games we decided it was time to head home. And of course we ended with the night with some ice cream sundaes at home. Mmmmmm mmmm mmmmm

Can you tell how excited she was?
 
I look special.

Tuesday when I got home we all headed to Seven Peaks with Mimi. I think Brooklyn is starting to realize that it's less confusing if we call Grandma Debbie - Mimi so we know which Grandma we're talking about instead of having to have a five minute conversation every time we talk about Grandma.

We started in the lazy river which Brooklyn loves. We didn't have tubes so we just walked/swam around the river. Brooklyn loves that she can touch but that there are steps in the river and she watches for them so she'll swim under the water when we come to them... not sure if that makes sense ha ha.  I do have to mention I forgot to put Gavin's swim diaper on when we got to the park so after being in the water for a while I remembered and we switched diapers... holy cow his diapers sure can hold a lot of water. I was so embarrassed I forgot to switch his diaper.

After being in the lazy river we had fun in the kiddie pool and the wave pool but I think the highlight of the day was the big water slides. Brooklyn had been too scared in years past but she decided she was ready now that she is six. We hiked up to the slides and went down and both of the kids loved it. Brooklyn was ready to go again as soon as we got down and so was Gavin. I kind of thought Gavin would cry and wouldn't like it but he loved it! After our second time down the slide Brooklyn decided she was ready to try by herself. Unfortunately we had to leave before she could go by herself but we made sure to let her know we would come back again this week so she could go by herself and she's been looking forward to it ever since. 

Freezing after getting out of the water.
 
Animal crackers in every one's mouths.

Yesterday when I picked up the kids on our way home Brooklyn was talking to me and telling me how she wishes we (her mom's family and us) could all live together. She said the Chris, Gavin and I could all share a room with her and her little sister. And her Mom, her step-dad and her other little brother could have their own room. She said that we would have to share the laundry and wait to take turns and then she changed her mind and said her mom could just do all the laundry. Lol. She is so funny and so sweet. It must be so hard for her to go from house to house and I'm sure she misses us when she's away just like she misses her mom and her other family when she's gone from them. Hopefully things will get easier for her as she grows she has done so well adjusting to two sets of rules, two homes and two sets of everything. We are so lucky to have such a sweet girl in our lives. 

Yesterday afternoon Chris's work was having their summer party. He came home early to pick us up and we got ready and headed out. About 2/3 of the way there his car just stopped working... on the freeway. We have no idea what is wrong with it. I got on the phone with the insurance to send us a tow and some nice man stopped and took me and the kids to a McDonald's just off the freeway so we wouldn't have to wait in the hot car. Chris rode home with the tow truck picked up my car and then came back and got us. I've decided that spending a few hours at McDonald's without a play place with two kids is not my favorite thing. We had water and cookies and then french fries a little later to occupy the kids. Brooklyn watched an episode of Doc McStuffins before my phone died and then thankfully Daddy made it back to pick us up. Brooklyn was so sad when she found out we weren't going to Chris's work party. She had been looking forward to it all day. I think there were a few tears shed when she found out we wouldn't make it. 

Switching car seats.
Pretending she's on a roller coaster.

Gavin trying to unbuckle Brooklyn.
Of course Gavin wanted to be in his car seat just because Brooklyn was in it. When we put him in and buckled him up just like he wanted this this is what we got. Lol!
 It was quite the adventure last night... my fingers are crossed and we're praying the car problem isn't too big.


Oh yeah!!!! One last thing I want to remember. Last night Gavin went pee pee in the potty on purpose for the first time! I'm sure it won't happen again but I was so excited and proud... I must be a mother. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment