Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Give Thanks

I got up early this morning. My alarm was set to go off at 5:30 but I woke up at five. I went for my run, got ready for the day and then I had some extra time so I read the First Presidency message to Chris who was still in bed. This months message is Recognize, Remember and Give Thanks by President Eyring.  


In the message President Eyring quoted President Kimball who said "Journals are a way of counting our blessings and of leaving an inventory of these blessings for our posterity." It really made me think about my blog and how it's kind of my journal and maybe I need to express some thanks to God here too. 

President Eyring said "As you start to write, you could ask yourself, “How did God bless me and those I love today?” If you do that often enough and with faith, you will find yourself remembering blessings. And sometimes you will have gifts brought to your mind that you failed to notice during the day but that you will then know were a touch of God’s hand in your life." 

I think if we remember to thank God and take the time to recognize all of the blessings we have that come from Him we will be happier, kinder and just all around better people.

I am so grateful for my family. I am grateful for a husband who is more rational about things then I am sometimes and helps me calm down (sometimes) before I say things I'll regret. I am thankful for my sweet Gavin and the joy he brings into our home every day. I am grateful for Brooklyn and what a good child she is and I love to see the love that she and Gavin have for each other. 

I am thankful for Grandma's who watch Gavin and take such good care of him. It helps our family out so much financially and it helps knowing that even though I can't be with Gavin that someone who loves him is taking care of him. 

I am thankful for my job and for Chris's job. While if I had my way I would choose to stay home with Gavin but since I can't stay home with him I am very grateful for my job. I am thankful for the people that come in and the fun relationships I have with our members. I really enjoy helping people. I am thankful for Chris's job and I'm thankful at how hard he works at his job. I know he does his best to take care of our family. 

I am thankful that I can go running. Sometimes it's hard to get up and go and sometimes I don't go and I'm not the fastest but I am grateful that I can go and I am grateful for the way I feel after I run. 

I am thankful for our home and a working air conditioner and enough room for us all.

On Sunday Brooklyn and I read some stories from the Friend. One of the stories we read was The Broken Refrigerator it really made me think about our situation. In the story this family had an old fridge that wasn't working very well and they prayed and told Heavenly Father that their fridge was broken and asked for help to fix the problem. The fridge started working after that and worked for the rest of the week. By the end of the week however, the fridge sounded like it was about to stop working completely. While out with his kids the Dad of the family found a neighbor that was selling their practically new fridge that they had just enough money to buy. The parents explained to their kids that Heavenly Father helped their fridge work for a few more days and then helped them find a fridge they could afford. Heavenly Father had truly answered their prayers. 

I am grateful for our cars even though they sometimes have problems they have served us well. I am grateful that we have one working car right now even though that car is struggling. My car has a crack in the radiator and the check engine light has been on... we're not totally sure if this has something to do with the gas lid or not. Chris's car stopped working last week but I feel like it's been a blessing that my car has continued to work. I truly hope it's not just working until we get Chris's car fixed ha ha. But I do feel like we've been blessed that my car is still working at least while our other car is our of commission. We are blessed to have a neighbor that has helped us with Chris's car before and is going to see if he can help us again. It is truly a blessing and an answer to our prayers.

I am grateful for so many things. The Lord has truly blessed us.

2 comments:

  1. You have truly opened my eyes today. I need to see the things in life that I have been blessed with (like friends like you) and be thankful for them. Thank you for being a part of my life, I am SO thankful for you, you always find a way to make me a little bit better of a person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy :) I'm blessed to have you in my life too.

      Delete