Thursday, July 18, 2013

Dinosaurs Say "Rawr!"

Yesterday when we got home and Gavin was taking a nap Brooklyn and I did lots of fun things. First we practiced sight words and painted our nails. I tried to do the ombre nail color with a sponge... it is not as easy as the girl makes it look on you tube... not at all. I think the part I disliked the most was trying to take off the extra color that gets all over your skin. It was a pain in the butt. I don't think I'll be trying this again.


Brooklyn then took a bath and we dried her hair and then tried out some hair chalk. We actually used soft pastels from the craft store. It looked cute and she loves it. It's fun for a temporary change but I'm not sure I'll try that again either. I feel like it made her hair really tangled and... well I guess it pretty much just feels like she has chalk in her hair... imagine that ha!




The coolest part of our night was going to see dinosaurs. 

Chris and I have a friend that works with dinosaurs. He digs them up and cleans them up and all sorts of things. I'm not even going to pretend like I know everything he does. 

Going to see dinosaur bones in a museum is really cool but seeing them being worked on and the pre-museum stages was incredible. Brock (our friend) thought he would have the T-Rex they have been working on standing by last night but they weren't quite able to make it. It was still incredible to see all of the bones all over. They are huge. They were working on the head while we were there. They had to cut the head in pieces to cast it or something and they have been putting it back together.... like I said amazing. 
This is an actual skull of a Tyrannosaurus Rex. They said this was a "teenager" sized T-Rex.
 
This is a replica of an adult size T-Rex. The size difference between the "teenager" and the adult was quite a noticeable difference.
T-Rex bones.

Look at those claws! They were ginormous!
They are also working on another giant dinosaur. I don't know what it is called but just it's ribs were bigger then Brooklyn. Once they finish this dinosaur it will go to a museum in a different country (I think that's what he said anyway).


This is what the huge dinosaur will look like when it's complete. It is seriously the biggest thing I've ever seen.
He also had this replica dinosaur head. It is of a dinosaur that has only been found in Utah and they have only ever found one or two of these dinosaurs. I asked Gavin what this dinosaur said and he said "Rawr". Gavin loved the dinosaurs and he loved seeing the sparks that one of the machines that was being used made. 

Brock also showed us a bunch of cool things in his office. There was a midget skeleton from the 1800's and some bird skeletons and a bunch of fossils. 

Dinosaur teeth.
Holding a meteorite. I didn't hold it but I could tell this was a very heavy rock. Awesome!
 Oh yeah.. that's another thing... At one point Brooklyn tapped me on the side and when I asked her what she told me "I think some of these are fossils".  Brooklyn mentioned watching Dinosaur Train on PBS kids and Brock told us he is friends with Dr. Scott. I think we'll have to watch this and learn a little more about dinosaurs. 


It was such a neat experience. We've known for a long time that our friend works with dinosaurs but I don't think either of us really had any idea what that really meant. Thank you Brock for letting us come see what you do!

1 comment:

  1. That is so cool, you guys are luck to have gotten to see all that neat stuff in real life up close.

    ReplyDelete